President’s Day (and the President’s Dog)February 20th, 2012
Earlier this year, we brought you a post about Pets in the White House. In honor of President’s Day, we decided to dedicate an entire post to our current First Dog, Bo!
Bo is a Portuguese water dog who was six months old when he joined the First Family in April of 2009. After Barack Obama’s election on November 4, 2008, he told his daughters Sasha and Malia in his acceptance speech, “You have earned the new puppy that’s coming with us to the White House.” Bo was a gift months later from Senator Ted Kennedy, in part because Malia has dog allergies and Bo’s breed is considered hypo-allergenic.
Now that you know the facts, it’s time for some trivia! Here are some fun nuggets of information to share with your friends this President’s Day:
- Bo’s name came from two different places: Michelle Obama’s father’s nickname was “Diddley” and Malia and Sasha’s cousins have a cat named Bo – and another cat named Diddley (Bo Diddley was a famous blues singer during the ’50s and ’60s)
- Bo’s favorite food is tomatoes
- According to his papers, Bo’s previous name was “Charlie.”
- Even though Bo is a Portuguese water dog, he doesn’t know how to swim
- Bo’s favorite exercise is running (and then napping near the Obama girls)
- Bo was born in Texas. His litter was named “Hope and Change” in honor of Obama’s presidential campaign